This is to be a collection without order taken from many papers which I have copied here, hoping afterwards to arrange them according to the subjects to which they treat, and I believe that I shall have to repeat the same thing several times; for which, O reader, blame me not... Leonardo da Vinci

Monday, September 24, 2012

Day by Day Portrait

I have received 5 portrait commissions of 3 people, so I thought I would try to give a blow by blow build up of what I do to complete one. 

Set up your area with paper, pencils, etc.
Have husband come home and have you run him to Scotts Auto for work truck parts and find out son has killed your car battery.
Sit down to the drawing board and sketch up a light sketch wit the F pencil. I use this grade because it doesn't scratch up the paper and is easy to erase as your work over your photo.

Answer the door 3 times for people and answer 2 marketing phone calls. 

Enlarge the photo with any photo program that will allow you to zoom in and out for detail. I zoom closer to the hat for detail of the badge using 3H and B pencils work up some resemblance to give the impression of depth and detail. 


While close up I notice there are ribs in the band. I use the B grade to show indent of ribs while following the shape of the hat around the band. Then fill in with "C" strokes over each rib varying the pressure. This can be tedious so I switch to the top of the hat using the 3H and start filling in shadows. This is purely a feel and look exercise. Look at the shadows and follow the shades using varying pressure strokes, then blend with paper stump lightly as if it is going across the surface of the hat. Blend up layers to darken and feel your way across the shape of hat. Then back to the "C" strokes.



You are not trying to duplicate the photo. Why draw it if you just want the same image. You are capturing an essence and spirt of the subject. 

Now hubby is making another entrance to the house with work truck and I have to start dinner. In between I will continue working the band then brim. 

Until tomorrow's update.

No comments:

Post a Comment