This is to be a collection without order taken from many papers which I have copied here, hoping afterwards to arrange them according to the subjects to which they treat, and I believe that I shall have to repeat the same thing several times; for which, O reader, blame me not... Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Experiment done

I have posted an unfinished version of this on Facebook for opinions, they choose that I should finish it. In the spirit of Renior's dot paintings the experiment is dot drawing. I choose a scene from a photo taken at Culburra Beach in NSW, then using HB, B, 2B, 9B, F and 2H Derwent pencils began making tones of dots to compose the drawing. The idea came while trying to find a way to draw sand in a more realistic manner.
A close up to show more detail:

The total drawing:


It is not realistic in time taken to compose such a drawing to work any larger than this 10X12. Some 5X7 cards for more tone control might be a better option. To get depth and rounded perception is difficult to obtain, but maybe with more experiments a solution may present itself.

I am back on the board busy for a bit, began the sketch ups for Dad and Deb portrait and Jenny's Boys fishing. There is also a beginning series of collage quilt backgrounds with painted foreground of WV memories being worked on the easel and a pastel girl with horse on the drawing table. My head is so full of concept pieces that partial sketches keep being made up while I am at work. They may never all be completed with the little time I get, but I sure will have fun trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment