This is to be a collection without order taken from many papers which I have copied here, hoping afterwards to arrange them according to the subjects to which they treat, and I believe that I shall have to repeat the same thing several times; for which, O reader, blame me not... Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, September 27, 2012

Day 3 and Finished 1945 Portrait

Adventurous is trying to work on a drawing while everyone is home and still demanding on your time. I may have to look into finding my own space away from home.

Anyways....
Here is the first few layers of hair, adding the razor marks that will be lightened during the finishing stages of shading. 



I then start shaping the face with the dark shadows around the cheek area down to the chin. This will also take several layers with 2H and B pencil.

 Progression of the shading across face. Always curve your lines around like you are sculpting the face with pencils. Feel where the bone structure will be strongest.



 Then start shading in the shirt in tie. Shirt is done with the same pencils of the hat, tie is a build up of 6B and 9B to get the correct darkness and hit of light. Curve the strokes to build up depth, short soft strokes for smooth surfaces.


Then we have a finished product...well it will sit for a day or two then I will go back over where I think more shadows and detail need to be inputed. 


Compare with the original photo, and I already see areas that need darkening. It will be left until I am refreshed and have good light to produce right effects.


2 comments:

  1. You're amazing Kellea! This work is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. Now I need another orange beer please lol...

    ReplyDelete