This is to be a collection without order taken from many papers which I have copied here, hoping afterwards to arrange them according to the subjects to which they treat, and I believe that I shall have to repeat the same thing several times; for which, O reader, blame me not... Leonardo da Vinci

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Norman Lindsay Gallery's Life Drawing

What a wonderful four days to spend doing what you love! The atmosphere at the gallery grounds was astounding, the teacher (David Newman-White) was outstanding, the models were wonderful and the lessons were inspiring. This is worth everything you can do to attend. There were people there from Victoria, Queensland and all around New South Wales - 14 in all.

Day one - Graphite pencil, continuous line with reference artist being Kimon Nicolaides (model: Passon)



Foreshortening was a definate challenge! Passion was a beautiful model - wish I had more time with her.

Day 2 - Conte Crayon, light & shade, artist inspiration: Kathe Kollwitz, model: Natasha


Conte Crayon is not my friend, but it will be nice to learn control of pressure for different tones.

Day 3 - Willow charcoal, form & anatomy, artist inspiration: Lucien Freud, model: Rodney

Another medium to learn pressure for different tones. I loved Rodney as a model, would love to do character drawings with him. He is so versatile with his look. Wish I could have captured him better.

Day 4 - Willow and compressed charcoal, artist inspiration: Norman Lindsay, model: Berinice Doray

Another beautiful model and I am starting to get the hang of the charcoal. The top one we had to cover the entire page with willow then notch out the white with an eraser and follow up with compressed charcoal. That was fun and can't wait to do more.

All of the classes were very inspirational and my mind is racing to do heaps more. I definitely want to work up this quick sketches as well. I was scared at first because of never had taken a drawing class or life drawing before. There is a lot of studying I need to do on anatomy and measuring.

David is holding a portrait workshop in Lithgow each month from February to May with colour. I so wish I could do each of them, but there is only 4 spots in each, they cost $200 per session and I have to work every Saturday. Check out David's website at www.newmanwhite.com.au...he has amazing portrait pieces.

Bye for now...I am back to 12 hour days again, plus I have an essay due on the Renaissance for Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment